Another Sports Entry

So its taken me a while to write this entry because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to say about boston sports and wanted to make sure I did it justice. So my beloved Red Sox have won the world series and in such are moving ominously closer to being the Yankees of the late 90s. At first, I was a little put off by this whole notion but I guess in the end I will always be able to revel in the dominance whether or not we are "buying" championships. Its true that the red sox had the second largest payroll in baseball last year (a mere 50 million behind the yankees). I would contend however that the issue is what does one do with the payroll. The red sox suffer from the same inflated bankroll syndrome that the Yankees do that makes them take on large contracts for people who rarely deserve the money. On the other side, they seem to have a value set for certain individuals and rarely waiver and would instead see quality players go into free agency. Now, I'm not one to criticize management of a team who just won a world championship but it does seem strange. Either way, this past post season was not dominated by Manny Ramirez or David Ortiz, or Manny Ortiz as John Kerry would know him/them. In stead, the lesser known players, with lesser salaries made the most difference...dustin pedroia, jacoby ellsbury, and mike lowell (series MVP). These names also give me the most hope for the future when the red sox will be able to ride out ridiculous signings of high price free agents (see J.D. Drew, and Edgar Renteria/Julio Lugo) with the strength of a farm system there in returning baseball to the way it should be. A team homegrown from start to finish with young talent peppered with the superstar status of a few key veterans.
In other news, my lab life is once again full. Research is going ahead full steam once again and we have a bunch of new faces in the lab. At least three new grad students between the two groups and a slew (6) new undergraduates running around with a whole host of projects. Its nice to see the lab bustling again as a return to normalcy ensues. A salesman from a bio supplies company came in today and remarked that we seemed like the closest knit lab that he had encountered in the building. I am more than a little proud of that and I think he's right and I wouldn't have it any other way. Patrick OUT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment