FCC Warning

Today in the lab I spent a good deal of time preparing for some experiments down the road that will include a LOT of plant tissue culture. Plant tissue culture is kind of an interesting thing to do that I used to really hate but now find somewhat relaxing and don’t mind so much anymore. In short, it’s the sterile propagation of particular plants in hydroponic media. Preparing samples and cultures is VERY slow and meticulous work and requires a good deal of concentration (at least until you get a lot of practice). You are dealing with absolutely sterile cultures in a tissue culture hood (like the ones you always see biologist working in on the news) and extra care must be taken to ensure that all sources of contamination are minimized. To make things a bit easier on my brain while doing this, I usually listen to the radio. My normal classic rock station was not coming in this afternoon for some reason so I switched over to the only other station I could get which is typically “soft rock” from the 80s and 90s. Not my favorite but tolerable. I spent a total of around 5 hours in the flow hood today which meant I heard a lot of music. Before lunch, “Total Eclipse of the Heart” played and then not even 4 hours later is played…AGAIN. This should be cause for a station losing its license. Of course hearing it twice meant I had to look it up on Wikipedia and I was shocked. First off, apparently Rick Deringer plays guitar for this cut…the same Rick Deringer from “Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo (which is a great song)” and also Max Weinburg plays drums, as in Max Weinburg who plays for the E street band and Bruce Springstein and also plays for conan o’briens house band. Wow…why would these two do such a thing. Even more shocking…the song was originally slated for Meat Loaf…imagine how different that might have been. Anyways, I’ve reached my crappy 80s song quota for the week now. Patrick OUT!!!

 

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you'll only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment