Would you trust...me?

So I came across this poll today about which professions are the most trusted. It is from a couple years back but it certainly makes me smile. 77% of respondents said they would trust a scientist…which ranks only behind doctors and teachers. I have to take it with a grain of salt because we are only three points ahead of the clergy who shouldn’t be trusted with much but we are way above the president and members of congress who shouldn’t be trusted with ANYTHING. I think its also funny that the pollsters put their own profession in the mix and found that only 34% of people trusted them. Does that mean that the other 66% of people were filling out the poll and actively thinking that it was going to be misused. I guess the figured that they didn’t have an option because they trust lawyers even less. I can only assume when people say they don’t trust lawyers they mean other people’s lawyers and not their own. The other category I like is, “ordinary man or woman.” What is that? Was it a major I missed in college. Can I grow up to be one of those or am I too far gone. They are trusted more than bankers which I think means that if you are an ordinary man or woman than you have a higher chance of someone giving you their money to hold on to for a while (this survey was in 2006…before the major crisis gained national attention). And of course, actors are last…because you just never know when they might be acting. If I was doing the survey I would have two categories here…good actors and bad actors. You can’t trust the good ones but the bad ones are probably OK. What does it all mean? It means that I picked a trustworthy profession and if it doesn’t work out I’m going back to school to be just an “ordinary man” or maybe an “ordinary woman” though that might take more time. Patrick OUT!!!

 

 

Would Trust

Would Not

Not Sure/ Refused

%

%

%

Doctors

85

12

3

Teachers

83

15

2

Scientists

77

19

4

Police officers

76

21

3

Professors

75

19

6

Clergymen or priests

74

22

4

Military officers

72

26

3

Judges

70

24

5

Accountants

68

28

3

Ordinary man or woman

66

26

8

Civil servants

62

32

6

Bankers

62

34

3

The President

48

47

4

TV newscasters

44

51

5

Athletes

43

47

10

Journalists

39

58

3

Members of Congress

35

63

3

Pollsters

34

54

12

Trade union leaders

30

60

10

Stockbrokers

29

63

8

Lawyers

27

68

5

Actors

26

69

5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment